034Motorsport’s engineers invested significant effort in developing a comprehensive OEM+ cold air intake solution for the EA888 1.8T/2.0T Gen 3, which provides noticeable gains in horsepower and torque over the well-designed factory airbox. Throughout the development process, multiple designs were modeled, prototyped, and tested, culminating in this elegantly-engineered Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System.
034Motorsport engineers started by identifying the shortcomings of the factory intake system to determine which components restricted airflow to the turbocharger inlet. While the factory lower airbox and fresh air duct to the core support were more than sufficient for increased power levels, the factory air filter, upper airbox, and turbo inlet tube were deemed too restrictive, even with the factory turbocharger.
034Motorsport’s mechanical engineers scanned the factory engine bay and modeled a one-piece unit to replace the factory intake tube and upper airbox. By eliminating the multiple couplers, transitions, and jagged features in the factory upper airbox and intake tube, 034Motorsport’s engineering team was able to drastically reduce turbulence in the intake tract, and virtually eliminate pressure drop in the intake system before the turbo inlet.
Multiple iterations were prototyped in plastic using 034Motorsport’s in-house FDM 3D printer and thoroughly tested. Ultimately, the best-performing design featured a massive 4″ inlet at the air filter and a large-diameter one-piece intake tube with smooth transitions all the way back to the factory turbo inlet.
MINIMIZING UNNECESSARY FILTER SHROUDING
034Motorsport focuses on optimizing every aspect of the intake system across a broad range of variables and compromises. A critical component of a high-flowing performance intake is the ability for air to flow around and into the filter. If the air cannot flow freely around the filter, it will be restricted from getting into it. Many aftermarket kits fit too large of a filter in an enclosure that cannot accommodate its size, thus choking the filter and reducing its overall flow. This often happens when a product is engineered for one variable at the expense of others. 034Motorsport conducted extensive tests and refined its development of the intake design to allow for maximum airflow surrounding the air filter, allowing for optimal airflow to, and through, the filter. The final result is the right size filter in the right size filter housing, creating maximum airflow and performance with OEM level filtering; the ultimate goal of any intake system. Be cautious of any intake that brags only of air filter size, without taking into account the detrimental effects of shrouding the filter.
OEM+ Fit & Finish
034Motorsport carefully selected the carbon fiber weave on the intake tube and upper airbox heat shield to match the factory carbon fiber engine trim found in Audi RS-model engine bays. The included cnc-machined billet aluminum-secondary air adapter and cap are anodized in black for a beautiful appearance and resistance to the elements. The 034Motorsport MQB Audi/Volkswagen 1.8T/2.0T Open-Top Cold Air Intake System was designed to fit like a factory part, and mates directly to the turbo inlet pipe and factory lower airbox to provide an OEM+ look.
Dyno-Verified Wheel Horsepower & Torque Gains
034Motorsport’s engineering and development efforts were validated on multiple vehicles using our Mustang AWD Dynamometer to ensure that the 034Motorsport Audi/Volkswagen MQB Open-Top Cold Air Intake System provided substantial increases in horsepower and torque on both stock vehicles and ones with upgraded tunes alike.
Peak Wheel Horsepower & Torque on Stage 1 2015 Volkswagen GTI:
- Stock Intake: 226 Wheel Horsepower / 296 Wheel Foot-Pounds of Torque
- X34 Intake: 235 Wheel Horsepower / 305 Wheel Foot-Pounds of Torque
- Peak Horsepower Gain: 31 WHP @6,000 RPM
- Peak Torque Gain: 27 WTQ @ 6,000 RPM
- See Dyno Chart
Peak Wheel Horsepower & Torque on Stock 2016 Audi S3:
- Stock Intake: 232 Wheel Horsepower / 241 Wheel Foot-Pounds of Torque
- X34 Intake: 240 Wheel Horsepower / 248 Wheel Foot-Pounds of Torque
- Peak Horsepower Gain: 24 WHP @ 6,400 RPM
- Peak Torque Gain: 20 WTQ @ 6,400 RPM
- See Dyno Chart
Product Features & Details
- Developed In-House by 034Motorsport’s Engineering Team
- One-Piece Design with High-Quality Carbon Fiber Construction
- OEM+ Fit & Finish Retains Factory Lower Airbox & Inlet Duct
- Black Anodized CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Secondary Air Adapter and Cap
- Open-Top Design to Increase Intake Sound Volume
- Large Diameter 4″ Inlet Pleated Cotton Air Filter
- Large-Diameter CFD-Optimized Air Intake Tube
- Dyno-Proven Horsepower & Torque Gains
- Improved Engine & Induction Sounds
- Increased Throttle Response
- Improved Airflow from Factory Airbox & Intake Tube
- Compatible with SAI Equipped & Non-SAI Equipped Vehicles – No Additional Parts Required!
- Installs Easily in Minutes!
- 034Motorsport Carbon Fiber MQB Open-Top Cold Air Intake System
- 034Motorsport Double-Layer Pleated Cotton Air Filter
- Integrated SAI Adapter Fitting
- Installation Hardware
- 2015 – Present Audi A3/S3 (8V – MQB) – 1.8T & 2.0T
- 2016 – Present Audi TT/TTS (MkIII – MQB) – 2.0T
- 2015 – Present Volkswagen Golf/GTI/ R (MkVII – MQB) – 1.8T & 2.0T
- 2019 – Present Volkswagen GLI (MkVII) – 2.0T Gen 3
- Please Note: This comprehensive air intake system is designed to install on vehicles with or without factory secondary air injection (SAI) systems. No additional parts are needed!